FSST

This blog is a collaborative effort between the Foundation for Student Science and Technology (formerly the Canadian Young Scientist Journal) and Science.gc.ca. Our aim is to offer an interactive platform where Canadian students can talk about their passions, challenges and ideas on how to further pursue scientific interests and education. We welcome new contributors -- if you are interested please contact us at information@science.gc.ca.


Monday, May 30, 2016

Dear Science

Originally Published: May 30, 2014
Written by: Fayza Sharif

Dear Science,

I am writing to confess to you my feelings of attraction that I had when we first met and still painfully harbor. This might come as a shock to you as first, but I can assure you that it is much more frightening for me to write these words then it is to read them. I hope you will take everything I write to heart and understand the sentiments that I will try to communicate through these lines.

Our first encounter was as memorable as Einstein's equation of relativity. We met at my house where my parents brought you over for a play date. Your concepts were a few centuries old, but that didn't stop me from feeling gravitated towards you. You were presented to me in the form of book. You whispered beautiful numbers and had me at 1+1. From then on, I was hooked. Your equations, your formulas, your logic, all of it was enamoring. I wanted to learn more, see more, and I did.

You spoke of truths about the universe, about this world, and about ourselves. You never hurt me, you never said anything mean and even if you did, there was always a good that came out it. There were times when I wanted to give up on you, to do the unimaginable, but I stuck through it, no matter how hard you played. You would nurse me when I was sick, you held an umbrella for me in the rain, you gave me energy from the glucose sent me, but most importantly, you gave me a passion that I never thought could ever be lit.

I went to summer camps, took classes and clubs with you, just so you could be in my life. I lost sleep over you because I thought about you all the time. Everything just made sense when I was with you, and nothing did without you. You were everywhere at any time and impossible to forget. My love for you grew larger and my knowledge of you expanded.

I remember the days where you talked about the ways cells formed and how the world worked. I remember the days when you talked to me about the absurd, but then I'd realize that it wasn't. I remember the days when we'd be using our MP3s all the time and then you invented the iPod for me when it eventually broke. I remember the days when you changed my life for the better with the never-ending presents you gave me. Without you, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

My feelings can never be fully transcribed on this page, but I just want you to understand that I owe a debt I don't know how to pay back. I plan to see a lot more of you in the future, where we can build more lasting memories.

A fellow scientist,
Fayza Sharif

No comments:

Post a Comment