FSST

This blog is a collaborative effort between the Foundation for Student Science and Technology (formerly the Canadian Young Scientist Journal) and Science.gc.ca. Our aim is to offer an interactive platform where Canadian students can talk about their passions, challenges and ideas on how to further pursue scientific interests and education. We welcome new contributors -- if you are interested please contact us at information@science.gc.ca.


Monday, May 4, 2015

My Love Letter to you, Science

Originally Published: May 4, 2015
Written by Andy Ou

My Love Letter to you, Science

Life would be very boring and uninteresting without science. It is science that gives us inspiration and motivation to discover more about life and matters around us. It provokes our human’s curiosity and encourages us to discover more secrets and mysteries behind every problem that humans have encountered in life.

When I was around 7 years old, I wrote, “I want to be a CEO” on a sheet of paper and showed it to my parents. Honestly, I did not even know what a CEO was and what the acronym stood for. After one year, I told them that I want to be a writer because I love to write short stories to express my internal feelings. They were very disappointed after hearing the news. After another year, I lost interest in becoming a writer and a CEO. I realized that I did not know what to do with life anymore. However, it was science that began to change my life. In grade 5, I won a science fair contest! I was so delighted and proud of myself. After that school year, I said, “I love science”. It may sound naïve and childish, but surprisingly, I have carried that dream all the way to high school and now to my undergrad years up ahead. Since I was little like a teddy bear, I have had a dream that someday I will work in a lab with my team and professors and discover something that is outstanding and unbelievable.

In grade 9, I have asked the question, “What is biology etc.?” I found out that it is the study of life. Then, I asked myself, “What is life and what is the purpose of it?” In the animal kingdom, the purpose of life is to reproduce and continue on the generation by passing on genetics, which are known as DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), to their offspring. After grade 10, I asked a lot more scientific questions like, “How does the brain work?” and it led me to more “what if” questions. I became very inquisitive and curious.

After four years of high school, I have truly fallen in love with science. I love biology so much that I treat it like a friend of mine. Everyday, when I encounter something interesting, I would try to incorporate science. Later on, I start making connections between our everyday life and science. During my free time, when I am extremely bored, I often start thinking about random things to integrate science. For example, I wrote:
“I love you, but we are too young to make such a decision since our frontal lobes are not fully developed. “
“The distance between us is actually zero, where our hearts collide.”
“We follow the same heartbeat and pattern. Our trig functions match perfectly together.”
“The bond between us is stronger than any bond that exists in the chemistry world.”
This may sound cheesy and weird, but it feels amazing writing these phrases and anyone can actually use them as love phrases.

Therefore, I have decided to continue my journey of pursuing my dream to become a doctor or a scientist to make the world a better place and a true difference in other people’s lives. Science is the reason, I decided to pursue my postsecondary education in McGill University, where I can continue learning more about science and its outstanding researches. In the end, it is science that gives us, humans, curiosity and the true meaning of existing in this world or perhaps, I should say universe.

Your sciencekiddo,
Andy Ou

No comments:

Post a Comment